Friday, January 8, 2010

And Still We Rise. Assignment 2 Book Review Response

Since, I already read the whole book, I can say that my experience reading this book was both frustrating and exhilerating. I got so into the stories of each of the students, especially Olivia, and I was excited to read the next part of their story in future chapters. It gets kind of intense because you start rooting for these students- you want them to succeed but they are encountering so many obstacles that it seems almost impossible. This was a little frustrating because the students are going through so much and even though it is plausible that a solution could be found to some of these problems, like Olivia not being able to find a stable foster home, it simply just doesn't happen because of the flaws in government. The chapter about Affirmative Action also contributes to this frustration, because as if the students are not already encountering so many struggles, they cannot be helped out by affirmative action now either. The book really changed my perspective in terms of this- before, I was really insensitive to idea of affirmative action and the struggles that students like this faced because I had not been exposed to their experiences. This book though, has taken me on a ride that had broadened my perspective and has allowed me to see their struggles more clearly.

I have not read book reviews before I buy books. Usually I just buy books on a whim if they look good and so far I usually have good luck. However, I do think it could be beneficial to look at book reviews just to see what other people think of the book and what good and bad elements the books has- basically everything it has to offer. I honestly don't think a book review would determine whether or not I purchase a book because just because someone else doesn't like it doesn't mean that I won't like it or get something out of it. I might listen to whatever a friend recommends if the friend knows what I like or likes the same things as I do. However, I still wouldn't let this completely affect my decision whether to read a book or not because I think everyone sees different elements of books and no two people are exactly the same. Although it might tilt me one way more, it wouldn't completely affect my ultimate decision. I usually just choose books that I think I will like and usually find some kind of good in all of them.

5 comments:

  1. Kenna,

    Wow, you read the whole book! Good God.
    I imagine that my feelings will be the same as yours once I finish reading the book as well. Right now, I believe I am insensitive to "affirmative action" (I don't even know what that is, truthfully). But once I get to the chapter about it, I think I'll have a better understanding.

    I know what you mean about "rooting" for the students. Already, I'm rooting for Olivia and Sadi and Toya to succeed. I was frustrated with Olivia for running away from her friend's parents, the Herrons, because that was the most decent house she's been in and she could have succeeded if she weren't so stubborn.

    Well now you make me excited to finish reading the book even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow McKenna! The whole book already? Very proactive!
    I really liked your response to this prompt. From reading your response, I do agree that reading the book makes me more sensitive to the idea of affirmative action and the people who live in these lives.
    I liked that you pointed out that the students couldn't be helped out by affirmative action anymore because I did not even think about it in that way really. I just thought that the odds are completely against them in nearly every way.
    Great job on this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I really like that you're such an over achiever! :) I agree with you and Kell and think that my feelings will be the same as yours after I finish reading it. I totally agree with wanting the students to succeed. I think it's like watching an endless episode of a really good tv show because we get so caught up in their worlds and are constantly wondering what'll happen next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. McKenna~

    wow..how did you read it already? I thought it was a new book. Man am I behind. Well I'm glad you have good remarks about the book. I am really excited to read it as well. I like Olivia's character too. She's very independant and knows what she wants and does everything to get it. I kinda of like her confidence it kind of rolls off of her and you get that vibe about her. Give you props! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the hell! You read the whole book! Man I wish i had as much motivation and drive that you do! I'm looking forward to the end now especially because you say its frustrating and exhilerating! Your wording is surperior and very good, because it draws us readers in to see what else you have to say. I also liked how you mentioned Olivia because she is right now my favorite character, or the one I am rooting for to make it though everything! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete