Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And Still We Rise. Assignment 2

I haven't had a hard life. Sure, I've had some upsets and struggled through rough times, but haven't we all. I am an average teenager that comes from an average family. Even though I can't say I've had an usually hard life, I know it could have been better; and I want to create an atmosphere one day for my family that is more like the one I wished I had. With this goal in mind, when I set my mind to something, I put my mind into it. I believe this is my talent: an unfaltering work ethic. Whether it is school, sports, or any other obligations, I will pour all of myself into that effort.

During my first season of high school lacrosse, I started off slow. I made the varsity team but was one the weakest players and rarely played in the games in the beginning of the season. Practices and games were discouraging and at first, it just made me want to quit the team. Instead of quitting, though, I set my mind on getting better. I worked my hardest at practice everyday and took time out even after practice (which usually ran until 8 or 9 every night) for extra practice. By the middle of the season, I was one of the stronger players and started every game. The same goes for academics- I constantly strive for A's in all my classes because I know that I can do better than anything less. I will continue to use this talent in college and eventually in my career to perservere and become the best I can be at everything I try.

Although Meisha had a much more difficult life than me (she rarely sees her mom, she works a lot of hours at her job, all while keeping up with her school work) I feel that our talents tie into one another. Even though things may be tough at certain times, she pushes through all her rough times and utilizes her talent of perserverence to shine and succeed. Although Meisha has had a lot more of these rough times, both work-ethic and perserverence are essential to making it through these experiences as stronger and more successful individuals.




I think that Jesus' point in his Parable of the Talents essentially means that we must not waste our talents; we are given raw talents and so we must put them to use. On the surface, the story expresses that if you bury treasure (or a talent) it doesn't do any good because you can't use it. On a deeper level, the lesson illustrates that you should use your talent in some way, whether it benefits you or others. If you hide your talents away where they cannot be reached, they are of no use and cannot benefit you or anyone else. This connects to my talent of work-ethic and Meisha's perserverence because if we did not use our talents when times got rough, if we buried them away in some hole, our talents would have never been utilized and it is likely that we couldn't make it through struggles as stronger people. If we do not bury our talents, but use and make the most of them, it will be easier to perservere and stride through life successfully.

6 comments:

  1. Kenna, you always make reading these blogs for me quite enjoyable ;) I really think that your response is awesome. Since I know you, I could really understand what you were saying and I know that you meant every word because I know how hardworking you are firsthand. I seriously like your writing, and your structure in this response is also tre'bien.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your choice of a talent and how you explained it through specific examples from your life! :) Great job on the Parable response too, it made a lot of sense and was short and to the point! I also liked the comparisons that you made between Miesha and yourself.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your response was really great! I loved your examples and how you seem to hold yourself on a whole new level :) Great job on the Jesus quote too. You have great insight and your structure was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenna,

    Your story about the lacrosse thing totally made me wish I had read this a long time ago. I remember last year I wanted to quit the soccer team after I made it because I was definitely the weakest player on the team and the girls made me feel unwanted there. I could totally relate to how you were feeling and I'm so proud you were able to overcome that and become one of the best players! You're truly inspirational!

    I agree with you about Jesus' story. I'm pretty sure everyone does. But your explanation was still insightful and I enjoyed reading it. Yay :].

    ReplyDelete
  5. My love, again great job :) I liked the fact that you didn't throw a pity party and focus on negative things in your life. You were very positive with this essay and that makes it very enjoyable to read :) your essay progressed. I didn't even know you played lacrosse and I'm one of your friends, what the heck? but all in all I am proud of you for not giving up :) I look up to you, alot. I love how you are always going above and beyond especially when it comes to school, and college planning. You pretty much know what you want in life, i wish i was more like that. I am very indecisive about things! I wish you would have said that you relate to Miesha because you both don't see your mom's, because I know that must be very difficult. I think you did a great job & your quote for the jesus thing was a good back up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kenna,

    Your example about lacrosse was perfect for this blog! It really allowed me to see what strong perseverence is. I know that perseverance isn't my talent because I never worked hard in cross country. Your explanation of the parable was my favorite part. I liked the part about utilizing your talents. Your introduction was also so nicely done. Great Job!!!

    -dani

    ReplyDelete